Its not easy - and several projects have
A few weeks ago, I felt pretty successful creating some art for the kids recently painted bathroom. (Before and after pics are on Instragram.) It went like this.
1. Paint an old board (with Big Girl).
Some yellow, some orange, some mustard colored paint. Squirt it all on the board and use a foam brush. Funk and bright. Perfect.
2. Draw the letters to the words on clear contact paper.
This was more difficult than I expected. Only because she changed her mind a few times on what she wanted it to say. If you aren't into drawing your own letters, try printing the words on your computer and then tracing through the clear contact paper with a Sharpie.
3. Stick the letters on the board.
Warning/lesson from my own experience: If you don't measure the board you coudl end up with letters that don't fit and have to draw them again.
4. Brush with a thin coat of darker colored paint.
More help from my crafty seven year-old.
5. After it dries all of the way remove the letters.
Let me repeat. After it dries all of the way.
6. Put a frame holder on the back of the board and hang on the wall to enjoy.
Cheap. Fairly early. Takes up blank wall space. Love.
The next one is going to be Joshua 24. (as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD) If I can figure out how to make the words into the shape of a house. If not, I may buy it on Etsy!